If there was a reason to go out for Sunday breakfast it was for the taste of the Sweet Tomato Relish at our local bakery. So I decided it was high time I made a homemade equivalent! After a couple of attempts my family have declared this the best!
I serve this alongside toast, plant-powered bacon and some sliced shiitake mushrooms (stir-fried in olive oil, salt, pepper finished off with a dash of lemon juice) It’s just as delicious pilled onto a vegan burger!
- 4 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 large red onion, sliced thinly in half-moons
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp red chilli flakes
- Place all ingredients in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Stir to combine and continue stirring occasionally as it simmers for about 45 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium (or medium-low, depending on how hot your stovetop runs) and continue to simmer and stir for an additional 10-15 minutes, until the mixture thickens and has the consistency of jam.
- Remove from heat, cool and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.