Here’s a family favourite, unfortunately for my fellow South Africans I’ve yet to find Ume Plum Vinegar locally, and no other vinegar comes close in delivering this tasty result!
I am pleased to have the local brand, B-Well, a mayo which is dairy and egg free!
- 14-oz can of salt-free chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup vegan mayo (B-Well in South Africa)
- 1 tsp dijon or whole grain mustard
- 1½ tbsp ume plum vinegar (add a splash more if you are using avocado instead of mayo)
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tbsp minced green onion or red onion or shallot
- ⅛ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (more to taste) or smoked paprika
- Place the chickpeas, dairy-free mayo, mustard, ume vinegar, celery, onion, black pepper, and cayenne pepper into a food processor.
- Pulse a few times until incorporated and minced. Careful not to overblend. You shouldn’t be pulsing more than 20 seconds.
- Serve on toast with romaine lettuce and inside a halved avocado.