My idea for this lentil mix is to have all the ingredients cut to the same approximate size. I feel certain, just like us humans, dog too can enjoy eating food with great textural contrast, yet be equally satisfyed with meals that slide down the throat with ease.
Either way, this small chop lentil mix is sure to have all the ingredients loaded in each tongue-smaking mouthful!
DOGGIE SMALL CHOP LENTIL MIX
- 2 cups organic short grain brown rice
- 2 cups dried brown lentils
- 2 cups textured vegetable protein (soy mince)
- 6 cups water
- 2 tsp sodium free or low sodium vegetable stock
- 6 medium carrots, chopped to appropriate size
- 3 stalks celery, chopped to similar size to carrots
- ¼ head of cauliflower, include the outer leaves and stalk, chopped to similar size
- 5 leaves of kale, chopped
- 1 Tbs Tamari (gluten free soya sauce)
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- 6 Tbs coconut oil
- Vegedog Supplement
- Rx Vitamins Essentials Biotic Powder for Pets
- Vetri-science Cardio Strength Heart Support Formula
- Note: I use last supplement due to our dogs’ heart murmurs. Please consult a vet or book for specific supplement requirements.
Makes: approximately 8-9 meals at 13.5 oz /380 grams per meal /per dog
- If you can plan ahead, rinse and soak the lentils and rice together for at least 30 minutes, and up to 6 hours. This helps makes the proteins more bio-available.
- Add the vegetable stock to the water and pour 1/4 cup into a large pot to heat over a medium heat. Add the celery and carrots. Cover and let it stream for 5 minutes to begin softening the veggies.
- Add the cauliflower and kale, along with the drained lentils and rice, all remaining water and textured vegetable protein. Mix well and bring to the boil, then cover, turn to simmer and allow all the water to be absorbed, stirring occasionally. This will take approximately 45 minutes.
- Once water is absorbed remove from heat and add nutritional yeast, tamari and coconut oil and stir well to combine.
- Let cool to room temperature before dividing into appropriate meal sizes.
When the ‘supper tail-wag’ begins, add supplements and serve! ❤️