Here’s a salad I continue to “wow” family and guests with every time it’s served!
Terry, author of Salad Samurai, is spot on when she says this is the perfect crowd-pleasing salad meal for vegans, omnivores, and everyone in between: a big leafy bowl of tempeh (or plant-powered bacon), kale, avocado, and tomatoes bathed in a tangy vinaigrette.
Because I don’t have tempeh in my seaside town, I use the plant-powered bacon recipe.
Two fresh ingredient you might not have prepared before;
- Curly kale is being called “the queen of greens” and “a nutritional powerhouse.” It’s packed with calcium, iron, vitamin C, K and A. It’s also a great anti-inflammatory food. When used in salads, it’s important to massage kale to soften it.
- Shallots are of the onion family, yet milder in flavour. They are small and elongated with a copper, reddish, or gray skin. When peeled, shallots separate into into cloves like garlic.
- 225 gms. /8 ounces store-bought tempeh bacon (I use 9 strips of plant-powered bacon)
- 450 gms. /1 pound curly kale
- 1 red onion, sliced into half-moons
- 1 pint red cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon smooth Dijon mustard
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Slice tempeh bacon into bite-size pieces and cook as directed until browned on both sides. Tempeh or plant-powered bacon can also be prepared the night before and warmed just before serving.
- Strip the kale leaves off the stems, tear or chop into bite-size pieces.
- Wash and spin the kale dry, then transfer the kale to a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk all of the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. Pour half the dressing over the kale and, with clean hands, massage the kale for a minute.
- Add the tempeh bacon, red onion, tomato, avocado, and remaining dressing to the kale. Use tongs to combine and coat everything with dressing.
- Serve immediately.