Here’s a useful fact to know: By adding dairy or soya milk to our berry smoothies we’re limiting our body’s ability to absorb the powerful phytonutrients found in berries.
In other words, dairy blocks berry nutrient absorption. In this recipe though the bananas offer the creaminess we love, the water hydrates us and the chia seeds are packed with calcium.
It’s our family’s favourite berry smoothie recipe, and my hope it that it becomes yours too!
We love the creamy yet fresh taste and I love knowing that it’s feeding our bodies with natural plant goodness.
Chia seed and Maca powder are my favourite, and most regularly used, superfood smoothie additions. By adding them, this smoothie offers an even more nutrient-dense snack; packed full of antioxidants, protein, fibre, Omega-3, iron, calcium and potassium.
- 2 handfuls of assorted berries
- 2 *frozen ripened bananas
- 2 cup cold water
- dash of vanilla essence
- 1 tsp. maca powder (a superfood to add to your pantry)
- 1 tsp. chia seeds (another worthwhile addition to your pantry)
- 4 pitted dates (optional, if you want more sweetness)
- Add all ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth (Add more water, depending on your thickness preference)
- Garnish the glass with fruit and serve immediately.
I hope you’ll try this and let me know what you think. I can’t wait to hear from you!