This might well surprise you: Did you know that one of the most talked about benefits of cinnamon relates to type 2 diabetes!
A study published in the journal Diabetes Care found that half a teaspoon of cinnamon a day significantly reduces blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes. It also reduces triglyceride, LDL cholesterol, and total cholesterol levels among this group.
Cinnamon’s other benefits include:
- Supports digestive function
- Constricts and tones tissues
- Relieves congestion
- Relieves pain and stiffness of muscles and joints
- Relieves menstrual discomfort
- Blood-thinning compounds that stimulate circulation
- Anti-inflammatory compounds that may relieve arthritis
- Helps prevent urinary tract infections, tooth decay and gum disease
- 2 thinly sliced apples (organic where possible)
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 2 litres still water or 1 litre still and 1 litre sparkling
- Place apple slices and the cinnamon sticks in a clear water jug (pitcher).
- For still infused water, add 2 litres (2 quarts) of water.
- For sparkling water, add 1 litre (1 quart) of sparkling during prep and a second just before serving. Refrigerate 2 to 4 hours to allow the ingredients to infuse.
- Stir well and strain, discarding the solids.
- For serving, add fresh apples and cinnamon sticks for garnish and plenty of ice.